Monday, February 6, 2023

Activity 2.2.1 – My daily water use

Water calculator nameUrlPer person per day usage
My San Antonio water billN/A62 gallons
Home Water Works
https://home-water-works.org/calculator
35 gallons
Water Filter Portal
https://waterfilterportal.com/water-use-calculator/
107 gallons

Water usage per person per day from my bills

November Usage : 5,557
           +
December Usage : 5,237
           +
January Usage : 5,985

Total = 16,779 gallons in total

16,779 divided by 3 months = 5,593 gallons average a month

5,592 divided by number of people in the house 3 = 1,864 gallons per person per month

1,864 divided by 30 days = 62 gal per day per person

Reflection

I have found in my review of my water bill that my household uses the same average as others in my community. I have also seen the amount used per month pass the what I used for this project and saw that the months that we had a family member living with us the our water usage practically doubled from about 5,500 gallons to about 12,000 gallons. In my usage of the water usage calculations I realized the sheer amount we use everyday washing dishes and doing laundry; the sites also provide me with useful ways to reduce my water usage and plan to implement them in my everyday life from now on. Even though I plan to work towards reducing my water usage from my calculations from the past three months, we are actually below the average usage of water for people in San Antonio, Texas. What I have found though is that the water usage calculator seems to overestimate my water usage and are all over the place with their calculations depending on the site I used. Some ways I plan to lessen our water usage is by setting up a rainwater collection tank and having that water be specifically for watering plants, trees, and grass. Another way is looking into getting the low flow toilets, faucets, and looking into the more eco-friendly water, saving dishwashers and washing machines although I am simply just looking. I plan to also cut down on shower time and avoid baths as they are a large contributor to water usage waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Activity 4.2 Environmental Policy Framework

1.   Side-by-Side comparison of three environmental policy/conflict frameworks   Framework Short Explanation Source Traditional Conservation...